Student Life

Living in Japan

The rent for a one room apartment or flat in Tokyo is generally around 60,000 yen. Many students usually share a place that costs around 80,000 yen. The amount of five or six months of rent must be paid before moving in as the majority of apartment managers request two months, rent as key money and another two months as a deposit when the contract is signed.

Dormitories run by the school are located in Oji (for men), Shimo (for women), and Omiya (for coed occupancy), and all dormitories are staffed with a full-time superintendent and attendant. The halls are equipped with Wi-Fi access. So, enjoy life in Japan free of major concerns and at a reasonable cost.

Commuting to School

Using a train to get to and from school and the office is the most common way to commute in Japan. Train time schedules are very accurate. Generally it takes about 30 minutes. to get to school. Student commuter passes are available for one, three, or six-month periods and can be used from the train station closest to the address printed on your student ID to Tabata Station. (Student commuter passes can be purchased by those who have studied at a designated school for at least 12 consecutive months and have completed at least 700 hours of study hours annually.)

Food and Meals

From 30,000 yen to 50,000 yen will be needed every month to buy groceries.
Eating out can cost approximately about 700 yen each time.

Part-time Jobs

Students can work for up to four hours a day if they have Permission to Engage in Activities other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence previously Granted, which is issued by the Immigration Bureau. Payment by the hour is generally between 800 yen and 1,000 yen. Students are prohibited from holding a part-time job within the three months of starting school to ensure that they can concentrate on improving their Japanese abilities. Students will also be requested to give up a job if they do not seem able to cope with both work and study.

Sickness and Injury

Students may consult reception whenever they feel sick. Medicine is also always available. All foreign students will be obliged to join the National Health Insurance System. Under the system, students only need to pay 30% of total hospital fees. If a student gets injured or injures someone else in an accident, Insurance for Foreign Students (all students must have this when first entering the school) is applicable and ensures peace of mind.

School Doctor and Accident Insurance

While there is no resident doctor, contracted school doctors respond to general student health needs or emergencies. Students who have “overseas student” residency status are covered by accident insurance at the school’s expense. (In the event of any unforeseeable accident, hospitalization, or a similar incident, your costs and compensation to any other people involved will be covered at some level. Therefore, you can live in Japan worry-free.)