Q & A


Q When can I enter the school?

 The regular course (long-term course) begins twice a year, in April and October. However, the application period preceding each course is in November for April enrollment and May for October enrollment, so it’s necessary to make enquiries and prepare application documents early. If you wish to enroll, you will need to prepare the required documents six months prior to starting the chosen course.
The short-term course lasts for around three months and begins four times a year, in April, July, October, and January. For July or January enrollment, the applicant’s Japanese level will need to be checked by the school. Please contact us for more information if you are interested in taking a course that is shorter than three months.
Q What documents do I need for enrollment?

 For more details about what documents are necessary for enrollment in the two-year course, see the guidelines for applying.
Also be aware that different documents may be required, depending on the applicant’s home country, qualifications, etc., so please contact us for more information.
Documents needed to apply for a short-term course are as follows.
1. Application Form
2. Copy of passport
3. Three ID photos (3cm x 4cm)
Q Is there an age limit?

 In the case of applying for the two-year course, an applicant generally must be up to 29 years old and have graduated from an academic institution within the past five years. However, we allow some here depending on the circumstances of the applicant, so please consult with us for more information or if you are a future graduate.
Q How do I apply?

 For the two-year course of study, complete the required form and submit the documents by the deadline. After the receipt and examination of your documents by the school, submit the documents to the Immigration Bureau from the school.
The application period may differ in some areas or depending on the school entry period of the student’s choice. Please visit our website for application periods or to see guidelines for applicants.
Q What is the selection fee?

 The selection fee must be paid when submitting an application document to cover the administrative expenses for such tasks as processing applications or documents for resident status. The selection fee is 20,000 yen. Also, please note that the selection fee is non-refundable.
Q How long does it take to issue a study visa?

 Following submission of the official documents to the Immigration Bureau, it takes approximately three months before a “Certificate of Eligibility&rdquo is issued, and the applicant is usually notified one month prior to the intended school entrance period. After the “Certificate of Eligibility&rdquo has been issued, a visa can be applied for at a Japanese consulate in the applicant’s home country.
Q Is there a school dormitory?
If so, how long does it take to get to the school from the dormitory?

 School dormitories are available. There are three dormitories for men and women: single occupancy coed, and single and double occupancy types for men and women. It takes 19 minutes to get from the men’s dormitory to the school, 22 minutes from the women’s dormitory, and 53 minutes from the single room dormitory. Rooms are limited.
Q How do you determine who will be roommates?

 In the case of a double room, applicants are accepted in the order received. In principle, special conditions are not accepted.
Q Would it be possible to change to another room if my roommate and I do not get along with each other?

 Residents are not allowed to change rooms at their convenience.
Q Are there any opportunities for exchanges with any Japanese students who might be living in the dormitories?

 Japanese students also stay in the dormitories, and dorm events, except in the single-room coed dormitory, are held several times a year, such as new resident parties and barbecue festivals.
Q Is it possible for the school to act as a guarantor if I privately contract an apartment?

 The school cannot become the guarantor under your apartment rental contract unless your apartment is in a school dormitory.
Q Can I buy student season tickets?

 If you are a long-term student, you can buy student season tickets. Student season tickets are valid for one, three, and six months.
Q How do I change my visa status from short term to long term?

 You can privately apply for a short-term visa; however, if you have a long-term student visa, the school may apply instead of the student.
Q When can I enter Japan if I have a short-term visa or a long-term visa?

 For those with a short-term visa, you will be allowed to stay for a maximum of 90 days; therefore, you have to make sure when is the best time to come to Japan after calculating the enrollment period for the two-year course.
Q Is it possible to stay for a second year at the Japanese Language School affiliated with Chuo College of Technology if I have studied for an additional year at another school a few years prior to my current enrollment?

 You can study at our school for two years because the maximum period of stay in Japan for studying at a Japanese language school is two years.

About this school and daily life in Japan

Q How do you decide who will attend particular classes when the students enter the school?

 New students are required to take a placement test after entering the school and are divided into beginner, intermediate, upper Intermediate, and advanced classes. There are two tests: a written exam and an interview. When we decide who will attend particular classes, we take into account each student’s circumstances, such as whether they are at the beginner level, the reason they are studying, and the period of their study.
Q How many hours of class are there each school day?

 There are four hours of classes each day, equaling 1,600 hours (over two years), and 1,200 hours (over one and half years). Morning class are from 9:00 A.M. to 12:30 P.M., and afternoon class are from 1:30 P.M. to 5:00 P.M.
Q Are classes taught only in Japanese?

 All classes are generally taught in Japanese. Students come from different countries, so we expect everyone to speak Japanese, the common language for the classroom, during lessons and even during breaks.
Q How many students are there in each class?

 The maximum number of students in any class is 20.
Q How many teachers are there in each class?

 Each class has a homeroom teachers, and there are usually two teachers assigned to each class. In principle, the homeroom teachers teaches two or three days each week and manages class progress while supporting each student. Students with any problems should contact their homeroom teacher.
Q How frequently do classes change?

 Classes change every six months. Classes may change at other times of the year if the instructor deems the change necessary.
Q What textbook do you use for classes?

 For beginners, we use the Japanese textbook Daichi. For the intermediate level, we use BUNKA CHUKYU NIHONGO I/II. And for preparation for the Japanese language proficiency test, we use the Guidebook N3–N1 edition.
Q What types of tests are administered at the school? (For example, are there quizzes, mid–term exams, and Kanji tests?)

 A big test is administered every six classes for beginners and in every class for the intermediate and advanced classes. Additionally, small vocabulary and Kanji tests are given almost daily. Moreover, we have a level test every six months so that students can change classes if they are ready.
Q Do I have to apply to take the Japanese-Language Proficiency Test and the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students?

 Applications to take the Japanese-Language Proficiency Test are collected and sent altogether for current students. Students who wish to take the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students are responsible for their own applications. However, students can get assistance with filling out the necessary forms for application at the school.
Q Where do most of your students come from?

 Most of our students come from countries in Asia. Including our long-term and short–term students, our schools have many students from China, Taiwan, and South Korea.
Q Do you have a scholarship program? If so, when should I apply for a scholarship after I have entered the school?

 We do have a scholarship program for students, which is based on attitude of students in the classroom, their academic results and their attendance. Selection to this program is undertaken in mid-March. The program is only applicable for students in the two-year course. No application is provided to take part in this program. Up to three students who have achieved excellent academic records can receive the scholarship. The scholarship amount and number of students in the program is subject to change.
Q How can I prepare for a higher level of education while attending your school?

 The school provides academic advancement guidance to those applying for admission to other schools. Applicants can participate in a guidance program or consult their homeroom teacher for information on how to achieve academic goals. In addition, students can have comprehensive discussions with their homeroom teachers and academic advisor about their school of choice and the preparation of documents required for enrolling in other institutions. The students can then prepare the documents with the information they need to make the right decisions. Homeroom teachers as well as other school employees are enthusiastic in their provision of instructions in regard to preparations required for entering other schools or preparing students for entrance exams.
Q Can I be enrolled at the school and also have a part-time job?

 Students can work at a part-time job for up to 28 hours a week if they have obtained “Permission to Engage in Activities Other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted,&rdquo which can be issued at airports in Japan when the student enters the country or at a regional Immigration Bureau in Japan. We recommend that students do not work at part-time jobs initially during their enrollment. Students entering the school with a study visa can later obtain permission to work after having studied for three months.
Q Do you have a room where I can study?

 Yes, our study room is open from 12:30 P.M. to 5:00 P.M. on schooldays. During holidays, the room is open from 10:00 A.M. to 17:00 P.M.
Q Where can I eat my lunch?

 You can take a lunch break in the building that lies adjacent to the school, where box lunches are sold at a store. Also, there is a supermarket, convenience stores, and restaurants nearby. For those who have brought their lunch with them to school, you can use the microwave oven, located in the hallway.
The school also sells the following meals:
Bowl lunch: 380 yen (regular size), 430 yen (large)
Daily special: 380 yen
Curry: 350 yen (regular size), 400 yen (large)
A hot water pot and water purifier are also available.
Q How much does living in Japan cost for one month?

 The average monthly cost of student-living in Japan is roughly between 100,000 yen and 150,000 yen. Examples of monthly living expenses: Rent including electricity and gas, 40,000 yen to 70,000 yen; meals: 20,000 yen to 30,000 yen; mobile phone: 5,000 yen; transportation: 10,000 yen; other costs: 20,000 yen to 30,000 yen.


Q Can I receive a certificate for a two-year course even if I have to return to my country for a personal reason after having already studied for six months?

 Yes, we will issue a certificate for your completed period of study.
Q How long does it take to issue a certificate?

 After submitting your request for issuance, it usually takes about three days to process your request.
Q How do I apply for a course certificate after I have returned to my country? (For example, how can I pay the issuance fee?)

 We can only accept your request by phone. After confirming who you are, we will decide whether or not to offer the certificate. If you will be given a certificate, we will request that you pay all the commission charges and related fees. After confirmation of payment for all these fees, including the postal and bank transfer fees, we will issue the certificate.
Q Can I take a course for less than a three-month period?

 Yes, you can enroll in a short-term course Before doing so, please contact us so we can determine your proficiency level.
Q Does the school organize parties where students can practice speaking and make friends?

 We do organize such events, where you can try foods from various countries and meet Japanese people.
Q Can students from outside Japan use their native language in the school?

 Chinese, Korean, and English are spoken by some Japanese staff members.
Q Where are the students from?

 Most of our long-term students are from China (73%), Taiwan (22%), and South Korea (10%), as of October 2012.
Q Does the school introduce students to places where they can get a part-time job?

 We can provide information about part-time jobs. Please note, however, the part-time employment is only possible if the student has reached a certain level of Japanese proficient. Therefore, we may not be able to find you some types of jobs with your preferred working hours, hourly wage, etc.